Building a Strong LinkedIn Profile
Take your social network to the next level!
- Use keywords in your summary statement. Many employers search by keyword, so use keywords—technical terms and skills—from your field. Not sure what your best keywords are? Find profiles of people who hold the job you’d like to get and see which keywords they use.
- Write short text. Describe your skills and abilities in short bursts of keyword-rich text. Use bullets to separate information.
- List all your experience. LinkedIn, like other social media, helps you connect with former colleagues and networking contacts who may be able to help you find a job opportunity. It also gives an employer searching to fill a job a description of your expertise.
- Ask for recommendations. Collect a recommendation or two from someone at each of the organizations where you’ve worked. Don’t forget to get recommendations for internships you’ve Refresh your news. Update your status about major projects you’ve completed, books you’re reading, and professional successes you’ve had, at least once a week. This lets your professional contacts know what you are doing and serves as a sign of activity for potential employers.
Courtesy of the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
Find jobs and internships in handshake
Explore our powerful career resource tool, designed to meet the needs of WVU students and alumni.
Why Are You Here?
- Ace the Lunch Interview
Build a Resume
- Choose a Major
- Complete FOCUS2
Craft an Elevator Pitch
- Create a Credential Packet
- Develop a Job Search Strategy
Dress to Impress
- Evaluate Job Offers
Explore Career Options
- Graduate School Advising
- How to Work a Career Fair
- Make the Most Out of Your Network
- Meet with a Career Development Specialist
- Prepare for an Interview
- Register for Career Exploration Courses
- Request a Professional Development Presentation
- Resume, Cover Letter and Personal Statement Review
- Write a Cover Letter/Thank You
- Write a Personal Statement
- Schedule a Practice Interview
- Upcoming Career Fairs and Events
- Meet the Staff
- Complete List of Our Services