An elevator pitch or elevator speech is a short summary used to quickly and simply describe one's self.The name "elevator pitch" reflects the idea that it should be possible to deliver the summary in the time span of an elevator ride, or approximately 30 to 60 seconds. You need to craft an elevator pitch that is so compelling, employers can’t pass up the chance to interview you. This 60-second summary will define your interests and experiences to the employer and highlight what makes you unique to your competitors.
Your pitch should include the following:
Greet the employer with a smile and firm handshake. Introduce yourself and offer
a copy of your resume.
Tell the employer what type of employment you seek (e.g. internship, co-op, full-time).
Summary: State education, experiences, strengths, and specific interests in the
Express your interest in continuing the conversation. End with a question: What
are the next steps to obtaining an interview? Would you like me to follow-up
with an email or phone call?
Find jobs and internships in handshake
Explore our powerful career resource tool, designed to meet the needs of WVU students and alumni.
Why Are You Here?
- Ace the Lunch Interview
Build a Resume
- Choose a Major
- Complete FOCUS2
Craft an Elevator Pitch
- Create a Credential Packet
- Develop a Job Search Strategy
Dress to Impress
- Evaluate Job Offers
Explore Career Options
- Graduate School Advising
- How to Work a Career Fair
- Make the Most Out of Your Network
- Meet with a Career Development Specialist
- Prepare for an Interview
- Register for Career Exploration Courses
- Request a Professional Development Presentation
- Resume, Cover Letter and Personal Statement Review
- Write a Cover Letter/Thank You
- Write a Personal Statement
- Schedule a Practice Interview
- Upcoming Career Fairs and Events
- Meet the Staff
- Complete List of Our Services