9 Simple Rules for Dining with an Employer
- If you know the name of the restaurant, go to its website and double check the location. While there, take a look at the menu and decide in advance what to order.
- Dress as you would for a normal interview.
- Make an effort to arrive first. Wait in the lobby, not at the bar.
- No matter what time you arrive, check to see if your party is already there. You never know.
- Your interviewer is likely to let you order first. Avoid the booze. Consider sparkling water. It’s both grown up and non-alcoholic.
- Don’t order the most expensive thing. Don’t order the cheapest thing. Don’t order anything that is ostentatiously huge, smelly, crunchy, or requires wearing a bib to consume!
- Do not ask for a doggie bag.
- Only order dessert if the interviewer does.
- Be graceful about letting the interviewer pick up the tab. You were invited!
Courtesy of U.S. News & World Report.