WVU Career Services offers many benefits for all current students and alumni. From resume reviews to helping you decide a major, and even simply just to have good people in your network. With all the stress that comes with all things related to your career, using their resources are the best navigation tools! The services provided give you endless opportunities for your future career and overall set you up for success. Listed below are some of the reasons we as students use Career Services:
Attending your first career fair can be quite overwhelming and you may not want to attend for this exact reason. But, as you begin your journey to multiple career fairs, Career Services will guide you through every step of the way. The career development specialists (CDS) can help you prepare, give you advice on what to do during, and help you with the process following the career fair. It can be difficult to know the important steps throughout, and using their services is crucial for getting the most out of the events.
- Career Services provides students with the opportunity to speak with a CDS about all things regarding careers. So what exactly will you gain from getting career coaching from a CDS?
- First, you’ll get credible knowledge concerning the skills needed and being sought out in today’s work environment. For example, are there new technologies to learn in your industry that would set you apart as an applicant? The workplace changes every day, and you must have an understanding of the skills needed for your desired position. A CDS has years of experience working with prospective employees.
- Also, meeting with a CDS helps you to define your value proposition. What is it that you bring to the table? What makes you a good hire? A CDS can help you pinpoint what makes you stand out from your competition.
- If you’re unsure about what career path to take, a CDS gives guidance for this too!
- Different industries have different preferences when it comes to resume structure and verbiage. Getting your resume to even be viewed initially boils down to what type of “buzzwords” and language you use when describing past experiences on you resume. This is why it’s essential to meet with a CDS who can help you tackle the details that matter most. Not to mention, a CDS knows what a winning resume looks like. They’ve assisted many students and their resumes! Turn to the people with the knowledge and experience to land you your first job.
- “From a student standpoint, if I would not have had my resume reviewed and finalized to critique these sorts of issues, such as verbiage and structure, I probably would not have landed my dream internship. It’s also a huge time-saver when you have a specialist at the tip of your fingers whose main goal is to help you succeed. Take advantage of the resources WVU provides! I know I have, and it has made all the difference!” -Gabriella Anile
- As you begin navigating your journey of trying to find a job, the interview process can be the most stressful. Knowing all the tips and tricks, the best ways to practice and prep, and having an expert tell you where your skills may be lacking is key for ensuring you are ready. The CDS can guide you through all of those things, especially if you set up a practice interview. In these practice scenarios, they will treat it like you are interviewing with the company, so it will require you to do your research and prep before the meeting just as you would for the real one! At the end of the session, they will be able to provide you with feedback so you are ready to go with your real interview. There is no limit to the number of times you can do this, so use it to your advantage!
- “For me, as I began the recruitment process during my first semester of my graduate program, I was so nervous about all of the interviews I would be doing for internships. I did not have a lot of prior experiences with interviews, so meeting with a CDS was crucial for me to be successful. I met multiple times, which allowed me to have the practice I was lacking. The insight provided led me to land an internship with an outstanding company!” -Olivia Seggie
BUILDING YOUR NETWORK
- We’ve all heard the saying, “It’s not just about what you know, but also who you know.” Believe it or not, a majority of job opportunities come from your professional network. LinkedIn alone has endless stories of connections who have never met in person, yet one individual finds the other a job based on their association and existence in each others’ networks.
- It’s pretty common idea that you hear of opportunities from “a friend of a friend,” so don't only rely on the people who are closest to you. This is the idea behind building your network. The more individuals you connect with, the better your chances are of landing a job or internship.
- So how do you build your network, then? That’s where the CDS comes in! By seeking assistance from a CDS, you’ll get new contacts with employers who are looking for new hires - after all, your CDS knows about the industry and who’s hiring. Not to mention, having support from a trusted professional boosts your credibility, as well!