- Meet with a career development specialist to get started
- Complete your Handshake profile
- Complete FOCUS2 to explore possible majors and career options
- Consider registering for ORIN 151 - Choosing a Major and Career: Find your purpose if you are unsure about your major or are considering changing majors
- Create your first resume
- Begin to consider activities and part-time jobs that complement your major
- Attend a career fair
Choosing a major and a career sound like really big decisions, but once you discover what you find interesting and what you enjoy doing, it becomes much easier. While it might seem crazy to begin planning for the rest of your life during your freshman year of college, starting early will put you in control and give you the best possible chance for achieving your career goals. The decisions you make now aren’t set it stone, but they will help you stay on course for the rest of your academic career and beyond.
You have questions, so we have answers:
Find jobs and internships in handshake
Explore our powerful career resource tool, designed to meet the needs of WVU students and alumni.