Choose a Major
By choosing WVU, you’ve taken the first step to a personally and professionally fulfilling life after college.Career Services wants to help ensure your success by guiding you through the entire career development process—from choosing the right major, to identifying a career path that complements your skills and interests, to finding a great internship and ultimately, a rewarding full-time job after graduation.
Exploring Various Career PathsLearn more about WVU’s undergraduate majors
What Can I Do With This Major?
- Who are you?
- Who do you want to be?
- What are your work values and strengths?
There is a certain amount of happenstance involved in everyone’s career path.
What Is a Good Way to Approach This Process?
- Gather information about yourself. See the Self-Discovery section below.
- Relax. No decision is set in stone. See the Career Myths section below.
- Realize that it’s a process and takes time and planning. Check out Greater Than a 4-Year Plan, our step-by-step guide to your career success.
- Recognize that there are pros and cons to every decision.
- Think about who you are making the decision for. (Yourself, family, friends, etc.)
- Use the resources provided by WVU to help you in your decision making process. Start today!
Self-DiscoveryOur career counseling team can help you evaluate your skills, interests, and life goals in order to make an informed decision about the right major and career path for you. To get started, you should complete FOCUS2 (access code: mountaineer), a customized online, self-guided, interactive program designed to help you select your college major and plan your career. It will only take 45 minutes of your time, and the information will prove invaluable to your career planning process.
It is important to choose a major early in your academic career so that you will have adequate time to complete all of the requirements of your program and participate in the right experiential learning opportunities (e.g. internships, co-ops, study abroad, volunteerism, etc.).
- I’m going to be stuck with this decision for the rest of my life.
- There is only one right job for each person.
- The experts can give me a fail-safe test that will tell me what to do .
What If I’m Having A Hard Time Making This Decision?There are three main reasons why people are unable to make career decisions:
- Lack of information.
- Inconsistent information. It doesn’t match their situation or reality.
- They are truly not ready to decide yet.
What If My Parents Don’t Support My Decision?While your major and career path are ultimately your decision, your family members will likely voice their opinions, particularly if they are providing financial support. To alleviate their concerns and support your decision, you should have a solid plan that demonstrates your career goals and the steps you will take to achieve them. Make sure you have a Plan B in case your first choice does not work out.
To get started, complete these questionaires.
Career Decision-Making Difficulties
A great resource to help work through an individual's specific difficulties in making a career choice.
A career assessment to help you explore majors and career paths, and determine which career directions might prove rewarding for you as an individual. (Access code: mountaineer)
Find jobs and internships in handshake
Explore our powerful career resource tool, designed to meet the needs of WVU students and alumni.
Why Are You Here?
- Ace the Lunch Interview
Build a Resume
- Choose a Major
- Complete FOCUS2
Craft an Elevator Pitch
- Create a Credential Packet
- Develop a Job Search Strategy
Dress to Impress
- Evaluate Job Offers
Explore Career Options
- Graduate School Advising
- How to Work a Career Fair
- Make the Most Out of Your Network
- Meet with a Career Development Specialist
- Prepare for an Interview
- Register for Career Exploration Courses
- Request a Professional Development Presentation
- Resume, Cover Letter and Personal Statement Review
- Write a Cover Letter/Thank You
- Write a Personal Statement
- Schedule a Practice Interview
- Upcoming Career Fairs and Events
- Meet the Staff
- Complete List of Our Services